The District of Columbia Protective Services Division, which is also known as PSD, (formerly, the Protective Services Police Department) is a division of the Department of General Services of the District of Columbia Government. The organization is responsible for law enforcement activities and physical security of all properties owned, leased or otherwise under the control of the Government of the District of Columbia.
The PSD traces its beginnings to an 1899 Act of Congress, the “Watchmen in Municipal Facilities Act”, which ordered the creation of a police force separate from the Metropolitan Police Department to maintain law and order in municipal government facilities that at the time were controlled by the federal government.
In 1973, the District of Columbia government established the Government Protective Services Division to control the police force being transferred from the federal government to the Mayor of the District of Columbia under the Home Rule Act.
In September 2009, Mayor Adrian Fenty signed an Executive Order that changed the name of the agency from “Protective Services Division” to “Protective Services Police Department.”
In 2012, Mayor Vincent Gray transferred PSPD from the Department of Real Estate Services to the new Department of General Services.
D.C. GOVERNMENT SPECIAL POLICE
Badges used by the District of Columbia government prior to the 1973 established of the Government Protective Services Division.